Discrimination, Harassment, Affirmative Action

I think I've been discriminated against. What do I do?

First, if you are an employee, consider talking with your supervisor or your unit's human resources consultant or equal opportunity officer. If you are not satisfied or are uncomfortable, students and employees may contact the Equal Opportunity and Title IX office at 612-624-9547 or visit the office at 274 McNamara Alumni Center. The Equal Opportunity and Title IX staff can discuss your concerns, help you clarify your allegations, and work through various alternatives to resolve the matter. If you want to file a formal complaint, the staff will investigate and make a recommendation as to whether discrimination occurred, along with potential corrective action, to the administrators in your unit.

If your discrimination concern involves disability issues, the Office of Disability Services (180 McNamara Alumni Center, telephone 612-624-4037) can assist students and employees with verification of a disability and implementation of reasonable accommodations. 

I supervise an employee who claims they are being harassed, but I don't know whether it is sexual harassment or what to do.

To be unlawful, discrimination must be based on a person's race, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, or sexual orientation. Staff from either the Office of the General Counsel or the Equal Opportunity and Title IX office can work with supervisors and administrators to review actions in light of claims of harassment or discrimination and to respond to those complaints. Both offices can provide training for you and your staff to recognize and prevent discrimination and harassment based on gender.

Even if the conduct is not unlawful, allegations of discrimination may reflect a need for different management techniques. The Office of the General Counsel and your human resources consultant can assist you to determine and respond to difficult employment situations.