Intellectual Property (Copyright, Patent, Trademark)

What are some useful Web sites regarding intellectual property?

Who should I contact if I believe that there is an infringement of my copyright occurring in the domain?

The agent designated to receive notification of alleged copyright infringement occurring in the domain in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (PDF) is:

Renee C. Heggem
Incident Response Coordinator
Office of Information Technology
Assurance & Security
University of Minnesota
2221 University Avenue S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Phone: 612-301-4357
Fax: 612-625-0348

We encourage you to contact our agent if you believe your copyrighted work is being infringed on a University of Minnesota site. This includes infringements occurring on the sites of all University of Minnesota campuses. When contacting us, please provide the following information:

  • a description of the copyrighted work that you claim is being infringed;
  • a description of the infringing material and its Internet location;
  • a statement by the owner of the copyrighted works indicating that it has a good faith belief that there is no legal basis for the use of the materials complained of;
  • a statement by you, signed under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that you have the authority to act on behalf of the owner;
  • contact information for you, including your name, address, telephone number, and email address; and
  • a physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on its behalf.

Who should University employees contact for assistance in obtaining copyright permissions?

The Copyright Permissions Service routinely assists faculty and other University employees in securing needed copyright permissions. Call 612-624-9571. Since obtaining consents often can be time consuming, contact the CPS well in advance of any print deadlines.

Where can I obtain information and assistance regarding how the University of Minnesota wordmark should be used?

See the Our Brand site or contact University Relations at 612-624-6868.

Who should I contact to obtain a license to use University of Minnesota trademarks on products?

Greg Berkowitz, Licensing and Marketing Strategist
Intercollegiate Athletics, Fan Development and Marketing
600 15th Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Telephone: 612-625-4879

Who should I contact for further information about intellectual property rights at the University?

Technology Commercialization handles patents and certain copyrights owned by the University. It administers the Board of Regents Policy: Commercialization of Intellectual Property Rights (PDF). The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost administers the Board of Regent Policy: Copyright (PDF), and the related administrative policy Copyright Ownership. The office's website includes a helpful resource page on copyright. The University Library is also a resource for information on fair use and copyright.